Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Monday Fun Day

What's your OCD?

Nearly everyone on my mom's side of the family has some form of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.  We refer to ourselves as Brownies ~ mostly sweet with a few nuts!  We openly admit to our disorders so I'm sure I'm not offending anyone by talking about this.  We have several "clean freaks" a couple "control freaks" (I'll admit to that one) and the rest are overly organized and picky people. 

If you were paying attention at the wedding you may remember Nick calling me a "control freak" and a hoarder.  Ha!  Sad thing is, I can't deny either one.  Being a control freak is my OCD for sure.  I like things a certain way and I don't deal well when things don't go the way I planned it in my head.  Driving is one thing that is very hard for me to give up control on.  I'm working on it though.

Before I move on let's quickly touch on the hoarding comment for a minute.  I am NOT as bad as the people on those hoarding shows but I definitely admit to having hoarding tendency's.  I watch those shows and can see some of their tendency's in myself.  But, watching the show definitely helps me to prevent it from ever getting close to that bad.  My problem is that I don't like to throw things away when I think I, or someone else could use it.  Plus I'm a little cheap and I don't want to throw something away that I can get money for.  Like the dryer.  Quick story: We bought a new dryer and paid $10 for them to take it away for us.  However, when they got there I didn't see the logic in paying someone to take it when I could sell it and make money.  I did put it on Craig's List and got a few interests but never sold it so, it's still in the garage!  Nick doesn't let me forget this either.  Sorry about that babe.  :)  I have a garage sale coming up though so I'm keeping my fingers crossed I'll sell it. 

I see my family's OCD issues starting in my kids too.  Here are a couple of pictures I took in Alison's room:

Color coordinating her clothes...

For as long as I can remember Alison has always dumped out any new boxes of crayons she has gotten and color coordinated them.

Ashley definitely has the hoarding tendency's.  I won't even show a picture of what her room looks like beacuse it's embarrassing.  We have to clean her room when she isn't there because if she is, she is going through the trash and taking things out as we are throwing things in there!  In the garage sale we had last spring we would find her taking things back into the house that we had out for sale!

So, now that I confessed our deepest OCD secrets... what is your OCD?

2 comments:

  1. OMG, it is like you live at our house!! Eric and I saw a commercial for Hoarders the other night and he said, "Look it's you." No, I am not as bad as that show but I don't want to throw things away. Who knows when I might need it again.

    At work the other day we were talking about my jobs and that I should start going throught he files and throwing things out. It is killing me to think about doing this, because what if someone needs it and I toss it! I mean, sure they haven't needed it in 2 years, but you never know.

    I was also telling Eric about how Ali is OCD. I remember it from when she was little!

    PS My closet used to be color coordinated like that, but I have let it go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I have to clean Sierra’s room when she’s gone too. However, LMAO, I remember one of those times Ashley was here and wanted to help, I also remember her questioning what I was throwing away and if since it was going into the garbage anyways if she could have it. That’s our Ashley!!

    And tell Ali I love to do that with my clothes too!!

    PS. Both of your kids have been know to do some organizing around my house! Ash used to always ask if we could clean something or if she could dust my living room; that was her favorite thing to do!
    And Ali loved organizing my cabinets or anything she could get her hands on.

    ReplyDelete