As I posted yesterday, I got the opportunity to attend the taping of the Today Show this morning as they surprised a local charity.
I had to arrive at 5:30am on location which thankfully was only a 15 minute drive. Getting up at 4:15 was rough!! I checked the humidity and quickly decided not to waste my time straighting my hair. It was an absolute downpour all the way there and didn't let up till shortly before 6. Luckily they had tents set up and I didn't have to try and stand in the rain with my broken umbrella that only works on one side.
Filming started right around 6am. Al would shoot a 30-60 second segment and then they would break away for 20-30 minutes so there was a lot of standing around. And during those minutes Al would totally disappear and then a minute before his next shoot POOF, he was there again.
Our home satellite was out due to the weather so I haven't seen it yet but I heard from a couple people that I made at least one of the segments. Al was 2 feet in front of me. My sister said he was so in front of me that you could only see me when he swayed one way or the other. :) Luckily work has a video and they are making copies for us.
I gathered some observations today that I thought I would share with you:
- This is something I say almost everyday but I'm going to say it again... there are a lot of weird people in this world. Too many examples today to explain in one blog. Lots of people watching time. (See picture below for one of several examples)
- There was a lady that stood around with a cell phone and she called out how long until the next shoot. She commented more frequently as the time got closer. Such as, "4 minutes", "1 minute", "30 seconds. Stand by" and "On in 10. Quiet Everybody". She came from New York and worked on the show. I would really like to know how much she makes because I'm pretty sure it's more than I make and I could totally do her job. I'm not sure how much schooling is required for that but I'm sure I have enough.
- If you are ever an extra in a movie... bring a book.
- Al Roker is a lot shorter than I thought he would be.
Al's opening segment
Al
Unloading 2 of the trucks
This guy lived in the house next to the shelter house. I realize all the action was happening around him but he was watching from his window with his shirt off and he'd sit there and wave at everyone. I'm surprised he didn't come out onto the lawn in his boxers with a cigarette in one hand and a beer in the other. Gotta love the east side! :)
Al driving away to the next city... (Not really. He had a car with a driver that was taking him to the airport. Just in case you thought I was serious.)
It was a great experience! Thank you Principal Financial Group for the opportunity.










No comments:
Post a Comment